This is one of my favorite standby meals, which I have made for years. I usually make it with boneless chicken breasts – 45 minutes will be enough baking time if you do this.
Chicken with Spanish Rice
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 onions sliced
- 1 cup water
- 2 cloves garlic crushed
- 1 can 28 oz. stewed tomatoes
- 1/2 cup pitted black olives sliced in half
- 1/2 teaspoon leaf oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon basil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- freshly ground pepper
- 1 cup long grain rice
- 4 chicken breasts skinned
- 3 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Melt butter in a large frying pan. Add onion slices and saute until soft, about 5 minutes.
- Add all the remaining ingredients, except for the rice, chicken and cheese. Break the tomatoes into bite size pieces.
- Bring the mixture to a boil. Pour into a 2 1/2 quart casserole, and stir in the rice.
- Arrange chicken on top, skin side up.
- Cover and bake for 45 to 55 minutes.
- Preheat the broiler. Sprinkle cheese over the chicken.
- Broil 2 to 3 minutes.