I made these recently for a pot-luck dinner, and there were no leftovers.
- 1 large or 2 small cabbages
- 2 eggs beaten
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup minced onion
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 pound extra lean ground beef
- 1 pound lean ground pork
- 2 cups cooked rice
- Salt and pepper
- 1 can 680 ml/24 ounces tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon Worchestershire sauce
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Separate leaves from cabbage. You will need about 24 large leaves, or more if you make the cabbage rolls smaller. Bring a large pot of water to a boil and boil the leaves for 2 minutes until softened. Drain.
- In a large bowl combine eggs, milk, onion, garlic. beef, pork, rice, salt and pepper. Mix well.
- Take 1 cabbage leaf, trim hard core from the bottom of it if required. Take about 1/4 cup of meat mixture, roll into a log shape and place near the top of the cabbage leaf. Roll up, tucking in ends. Place in slow cooker. Continue with remaining cabbage leaves and meat.
- Combine sauce ingredients and pour over cabbage rolls in slow cooker. Cook on low for 8 to 9 hours.
- Makes about 24 cabbage rolls, or more if you make them smaller.