The trick is to prepare this the night before – then the manicotti don’t need to be precooked, which makes it much easier to stuff them too.
- 1 package 10 oz spinach
- 2 cups ricotta cheese
- 1 1/2 cups grated mozzarella cheese
- 3/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon parsley
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 jars 28 oz. each spaghetti sauce
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 package manicotti shells
- Wash spinach and drain well. Cook in a pot with the water clinging to the leaves, just until tender and wilted. Drain and squeeze out any remaining water. Chop. Combine in a large bowl with the ricotta cheese, 1 cup of the mozzarella cheese, 1/4 cup of the Parmesan cheese, onion, egg, parsley, garlic, and pepper.
- Combine spaghetti sauce and water. Pour 1 cup of the sauce in the bottom of a 9 x 13 inch pan.
- Stuff uncooked manicotti shells with the cheese mixture. Place over the sauce in the pan. Pour the remaining sauce over, and top with the remaining mozzarella cheese and Parmesan cheese.
- Cover and refrigerate overnight. Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before putting in the oven.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350 degrees F. for 40 to 50 minutes. Makes 8 servings.