Yumm – Parmesan cheese and tomato sauce – two of my favorites. Of course I like this with pasta. Also good as a sandwich in a crusty Italian roll.
- 4 - 6 chicken breasts boned and skinned
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/3 cup bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 egg beaten
- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 can 15 oz. tomato sauce
- 1/4 salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 pound thinly sliced mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Combine bread crumbs and Parmesan cheese. Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a large frying pan.
- Dip chicken pieces in beaten egg, then in the bread crumb mixture. Cook to brown on both sides - about 5 to 7 minutes.
- Meanwhile in a saucepan heat the remaining tablespoon of oil, and saute the onions until tender. Stir in the tomato sauce, salt, pepper and oregano. Bring to a boil.
- Place the chicken pieces in a baking dish. Pour 3/4 of the sauce over top. Arrange the mozzarella slices over top, and pour the remaining sauce over all.
- Bake, uncovered, for about 20 minutes, until chicken is cooked and cheese is melted.