A great Sunday meal! It’s a little fancier than the roast beef Grandma used to make, every other Sunday. Vegetables cooked along with the roast like this taste so good.
Oven Pot Roast
- 3 pound beef roast
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion sliced
- 4 medium carrots cut in 1 inch pieces
- 1 can 28 oz. stewed tomatoes
- 2 cups red wine
- 2 cups beef broth
- 2 tablespoons dried parsley
- 6 cloves garlic minced
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 6 medium potatoes peeled and cut in quarters
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Heat oil in a frying pan, and brown meat on all sides.
- Transfer meat to a large casserole dish or roaster.
- Add all the remaining ingredients, except the potatoes, to the casserole dish. The liquid should cover the vegetables and meat. Add more broth or water if necessary.
- Cover, and bake in preheated oven for 2 hours. Turn the beef after an hour.
- Add potatoes to the pan, increase the oven temperature to 400 degrees F. and bake uncovered for about 1 hour, until meat and potatoes are tender. Turn meat every 15 minutes.