A large pasta recipe – this is a good one to make for a party or to take along to a pot-luck dinner.
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 2 medium onions chopped
- 1 can 15 oz. tomato sauce
- 1 can 19 oz. stewed tomatoes
- 1 can 10 oz. sliced mushrooms with juice
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon basil
- salt and pepper
- 5 cups shell rigatoni or other large pasta
- 2 cups sour cream or plain yogurt
- 2 cups grated cheddar cheese
- 2 cups grated mozzarella cheese
- In a large skillet, combine beef, garlic, and onions. Cook and stir over medium heat until browned. Drain fat.
- Add tomato sauce, tomatoes, mushrooms, oregano, basil, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer 20 minutes.
- Cook pasta and drain.
- In a 4 quart (or larger) casserole, layer 1/2 of the pasta. Top with the 1/2 of the meat sauce, 1/2 of the sour cream, 1/2 of the cheddar cheese. Repeat layers and top with the mozzarella cheese.
- Cover and bake at 350 degrees F. for 45 minutes. Remove cover and continue to bake until cheese is melted. Makes 10 servings.