Of course the slow cooking makes an inexpensive cut of meat nice and tender. You can cook the meat in one piece, but I like to cut it into serving size portions before cooking. The sauce makes a nice tasty gravy, this is great served with mashed potatoes.
Swiss Steak 2
- 1 1/2 pounds round steak 3/4 inch thick
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1/2 bay leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon Worchestershire sauce
- 2 cups hot water
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- With a meat pounder or edge of a saucer, pound flour, salt and pepper into both sides of steak.
- In a large skillet heat oil and brown the steak on both sides.
- Add bay leaf, Worchestershire sauce, and water. Cover and simmer for 3 hours, turning occasionally. Add onion and celery for the last 1/2 hour. Remove bay leaf and serve. Makes 4 servings.