An elegant chicken dish, but it’s very easy to prepare. You could make this with boneless chicken breasts – just reduce the cooking time to about 10 minutes for the chicken.
Chicken with Mushroom Sauce
- 4 - 6 chicken breasts
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 pound sliced mushrooms
- 1 cup chicken stock
- juice of 1 lemon
- 1 cup white wine
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- Combine the flour, salt and pepper. Coat the chicken breasts with flour mixture.
- Heat the oil and butter in a large frying pan and brown the chicken on both sides - about 10 minutes. Lower the heat and continue to cook the chicken until it is cooked and tender - about 20 to 30 minutes. Remove to a serving platter and keep warm.
- Add the mushrooms to the pan, adding a little more butter if necessary. Cook the mushrooms for about 5 minutes.
- Add the stock, lemon juice, and wine to the pan and bring to a boil, scraping any bits from the bottom of the pan. Continue to cook for 3 to 5 minutes. Lower heat and stir in the cream and nutmeg. Continue to cook until the sauce is slightly thickened.
- Pour sauce over top of the chicken on the serving platter and sprinkle with parsley.