This is a great chili, made with steak instead of ground beef. Shredded cheddar cheese is a nice touch to garnish the bowls. You can use round steak or other less expensive cuts of beef, but simmer it longer.
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 cups chopped onion
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 large red pepper cubed
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 pound sirloin steak cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon leaf oregano
- 1 can 28 oz. stewed tomatoes, with juice
- 1 can 5 1/2 oz tomato paste
- 2 cans 19 oz.each red kidney beans, drained
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons Worchestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon hot sauce
- Salt and pepper
- In a large saucepan or Dutch oven, heat 1 tablespoon oil, and cook the onion and garlic over medium heat for 5 minutes. Add pepper and celery and cook another 5 minutes, until softened.
- Remove vegetables from the pan. Add the remaining oil, and brown the steak cubes, in batches.
- When all the steak has been browned, return the vegetables and steak cubes to the pan, over low heat.
- Add the chili powder, cumin and oregano. Cook and stir for one minute.
- Add the tomatoes, tomato paste, and kidney beans. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat, cover and simmer for about 45 minutes, until meat is tender.
- Stir in lemon juice, Worchestershire sauce, hot sauce, and salt and pepper. Remove from heat.