Slow cooker “Coq au Vin” has a hearty red wine sauce – use a good quality wine, and serve with the same wine.
Chicken with Red Wine
- 2 1/2 - 3 lbs. boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 2 cups pearl onions
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1 1/2 cups dry red wine
- 1 can 5 1/2 oz/156 ml tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 3 cups button mushrooms or white mushrooms
- Cut chicken in bite size pieces and add to slow cooker.
- Peel pearl onions and add to slow cooker.
- In a bowl, slowly add chicken broth to flour and mix until smooth. Add wine, tomato paste, garlic, thyme and pepper and stir to blend. Pour over chicken and onions. Cook on low heat for 7 to 8 hours.
- If using larger white mushrooms, cut in halves or quarters. Add mushrooms for the last hour of cooking time.