You know I like sweet potatoes, so I like this casserole. It’s different, and fancy enough for company – serve it with crusty rolls or bread to soak up the delicious sauce.
Pork and Sweet Potato Stew
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/3 cup flour
- 1/4 cup Dijon mustard
- 3 pounds pork cut in 1 inch cubes
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 1/3 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup dry sherry
- 3 pounds sweet potatoes peeled and cut in 1 inch cubes
- salt and pepper
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley chopped
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Combine brown sugar and flour in a small bowl.
- Coat pork cubes in mustard, then in the flour mixture.
- Heat oil in a large frying pan, and brown pork cubes on all sides.
- Transfer pork cubes to a large casserole dish. Continue until all pork cubes are browned.
- Add onions and garlic to the frying pan and cook until softened but not brown. Add them to the casserole dish.
- Discard any fat in the frying pan. Add the broth and sherry to the pan, and bring to a boil. Pour into the casserole dish.
- Add sweet potato cubes to the casserole dish. Cover and bake for 50 to 60 minutes, until meat and sweet potatoes are tender.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste, and add parsley.