I tried making an “ice cream” recipe that basically called for coconut milk and some sweetener. While it tasted good, it quickly melted back down to coconut milk. I wanted something that didn’t melt quite so fast, and I came up with this method. Note: this is not vegan, it contains eggs (I have a dairy sensitivity).
Coconut Milk Vanilla Custard Ice Cream
- High speed blender
- 1 can coconut milk 400 ml/15 oz
- 2 large eggs
- 3 tbsp honey
- 1/4 tsp xanthan gum
- 2-3 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 cup coconut milk or other non-dairy milk
- Add coconut milk, eggs, honey and xanthan gum to Vitamix (or other high speed blender). Turn on Vitamix and increase speed to Variable 10. Blend for 5 minutes (this will "cook" the mixture and turn it into a custard).
- Reduce Vitamix speed to Variable 1, open the lid cap, and pour in the vanilla. Blend for about 30 seconds. The mixture may look a bit curdled, but that's okay, it will come together again when you blend it into ice cream.
- Pour into silicone ice cube trays or other small silicone molds.
- Allow to cool, and then put your molds in the freezer for several hours, or over night to freeze.
- When frozen, remove from the freezer. Pour the additional half cup of coconut milk (or other non-dairy milk) into the Vitamix. Pop your custard cubes out of the molds and add to the Vitamix.
- Turn Vitamix on to Variable 1 and quickly increase to Variable 10. Blend, using the tamper to push mixture into the blades, until smooth and creamy.
- Pour into a freezer container and freeze for another few hours, until firm. (It helps keep your ice cream cold if you place your container in the freezer an hour or so in advance.