A tasty combination of whole wheat, rolled oats and rhubarb.
Whole Wheat Rhubarb Oatmeal Muffins
- 1 egg
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup canola oil or melted butter
- 2 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 cups chopped rhubarb fresh or frozen
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped walnuts optional
- In a small bowl, whisk egg, buttermilk and oil together.
- In a large bowl, mix flour, oats, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda, salt and brown sugar.
- Make a well in the dry ingredients and pour in the egg mixture. Stir until just combined.
- Fold in rhubarb and walnuts.
- Spoon batter into paper lined muffin tins. Bake at 350 degrees F. for 30 to 35 minutes. Makes about 18 large muffins.