A tasty combination of whole wheat, rolled oats and rhubarb.
Whole Wheat Rhubarb Oatmeal Muffins
- 1 egg
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup canola oil or melted butter
- 2 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 cups chopped rhubarb fresh or frozen
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped walnuts optional
- In a small bowl, whisk egg, buttermilk and oil together.
- In a large bowl, mix flour, oats, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda, salt and brown sugar.
- Make a well in the dry ingredients and pour in the egg mixture. Stir until just combined.
- Fold in rhubarb and walnuts.
- Spoon batter into paper lined muffin tins. Bake at 350 degrees F. for 30 to 35 minutes. Makes about 18 large muffins.
Could use more sugar!!
We loved these muffins. I used frozen rhubarb and omitted the walnuts. Will definitely make again.
Really like these. I soaked the rolled oats in the buttermilk for about 1/2 hour and then added the other wet ingredients, and increased the cinnamon a little and added about 1/2 tsp nutmeg and 1 tsp vanilla. They were perfectly sweetened for my taste, and I really like the nuttiness of the whole wheat flour. My rhubarb always goes wild, so I’ll use this recipe often.
Definitely needs more sugar. I’ll have to give them to my boyfriend who is borderline diabetic. Don’t do the trick Dawn did by soaking the oats in the buttermilk unless you want the batter to look like crumble you’d put on a pie. I’ll try something else next time.