Platz is a traditional Mennonite coffee cake (the name is German in origin). Serve this as a coffee cake, or it is also a yummy dessert, served with scoop of vanilla ice cream.
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup milk
- 4 cups chopped rhubarb
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 cup flour
- 1/3 cup butter
- In a medium bowl combine flour, salt, baking powder and sugar. Cut in butter until crumbly.
- Beat egg and combine with milk. Make a well in the dry ingredients and add the egg mixture all at once. Stir to make a soft dough.
- Spread in a greased 9 x 13 inch baking dish.
- In a large bowl toss rhubarb with sugar. Spoon fruit over top of batter.
- In a small bowl or food processor combine sugar and flour. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Sprinkle the topping over the rhubarb. Bake at 350 degrees F. for 45 to 50 minutes. Serve warm.
Recipe turned out really good.
I do prefer more of a solid base layer rather than a cakey type layer but that’s my personal preference. Still tastes very good.