A nice healthy muffin – low fat, not too much sugar. But they’re really tasty. To make them even healthier, use half whole wheat flour instead of all white.
Spiced Apple Muffins
- 2 cups flour
- 3 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 cup peeled chopped apple
- 1 egg lightly beaten
- 1 cup milk
- 1/3 cup melted butter or canola oil
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- In a large bowl combine flour, baking powder, salt, sugar, and spices. Stir in the apple.
- Combine egg, milk, and melted butter. Add to dry ingredients, stirring until just moistened.
- Spoon into muffin tins that have been greased or lined with paper muffin cups.
- Combine topping ingredients and sprinkle over muffins.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes.