These are really good, with a mellow orange flavour. Use a navel orange so you don’t get any seeds.
Date and Orange Muffins
- 1 whole orange
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine softened
- 1/2 cup chopped dates
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Cut the orange into pieces and remove any seeds. Place in the food processor and process until it is finely chopped.
- Add the milk, egg, and butter and process until blended. Add the dates and give a short whirl.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, baking soda, baking powder, sugar and salt.
- Pour the orange mixture over the dry ingredients, and mix lightly, just enough to moisten.
- Spoon into muffin tins that have been greased or lined with paper muffin cups.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes.