Rhubarb and apples are a more unusual combination, but this pie is really tasty and pretty too – use nice red rhubarb. Of course – serve with ice cream!
Apple Rhubarb Pie
- Pastry for a 2 crust 9 inch pie
- 6 apples
- 2 - 3 cups sliced rhubarb fresh or frozen
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon cloves
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Roll out half the pastry and line a 9 inch pie plate. Trim leaving 1/2 inch over the pie plate.
- Peel and core apples, and slice into 1/2 inch wedges. Place in a large bowl with sliced rhubarb. Toss fruit with sugar, flour and spices. Place in the pie shell.
- Roll out remaining pastry and cut into 1/2 inch strips. Make a lattice top crust on the pie by crisscrossing the strips over the filling. Trim the strips even with the pie plate. Fold the 1/2 inch of the bottom crust over the ends of the strips. Seal and flute the edges.
- Place on the lower rack in the oven and bake for 10 minutes, until the crust starts to brown. Reduce heat to 350 degrees and continue to bake for 40 to 45 minutes, until crust is golden and fruit is tender.