This is Auntie Bessie’s recipe, and I have made it for years. In recent years, being fat conscious, I have substituted plain yogurt for the sour cream, and they are just as good. I have made these muffins for lots of people, including my car mechanics (my car got really good service that day!) and they are very popular. Don’t fill the muffin cups too full on this one, as the batter will just overflow and make a mess.
Bessie's Bran Muffins
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup natural bran
- 1 cup flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- Soften butter to room temperature. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Mix sour cream and baking soda together in a medium bowl and set aside.
- Cream butter or margarine and brown sugar together. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Combine bran, flour, salt, and baking powder.
- Add dry ingredients and sour cream alternately to the creamed mixture.
- Fill muffin tins, lined with paper muffin cups or greased, 2/3 full.
- Bake for 20 - 25 minutes, or until tops spring back when touched.