My Dad’s favorite rhubarb recipe – I used to make this one for him. There were no arguments – everyone liked this one. We would serve it with whipped cream.
Rhubarb Upside Down Cake
- 1/4 cup butter
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon orange juice
- 4 cups rhubarb cut in 1 1/2 inch pieces
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons white sugar
- 1/3 cup butter
- 1 egg beaten
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 3/4 cup milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Place 1/4 cup butter in a 9 inch round or 8 inch square baking pan and put in the oven until the butter is melted.
- Remove from the oven and stir in the brown sugar and 1 tablespoon orange juice.
- Arrange rhubarb in rows in the sauce. Make 2 layers of rhubarb.
- In a medium bowl or food processor mix the flour, baking powder, salt and white sugar. Cut in 1/3 cup butter until the size of small peas.
- Mix egg, 1/4 cup orange juice and milk together. Add to the dry ingredients and mix or process until just combined.
- Spread batter over the rhubarb. Push it out to touch all sides of the pan and completely cover the rhubarb.
- Bake for 30 to 35 minutes. Test the centre of the cake with a cake tester or toothpick to ensure that it is cooked through.
- Cool on a rack for 10 minutes, then invert the pan over a serving plate and carefully turn it out. Serve warm.