Another one of my favorites. A large casserole, great for a crowd, with a great mild flavour. Or make it in 2 smaller casserole dishes and freeze one for later. I used a mixture of cheddar, mozzarella, and Parmesan cheeses instead of just cheddar, which was very good (shown here). I think it would make a great meatless casserole too – eliminate the ground beef and add a few more vegetables.
Beef and Cheese Casserole
- 4 cups large pasta
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 - 4 cloves garlic crushed
- 1 1/2 cups chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 1/2 pounds ground beef
- 1 can 10 oz. tomato soup
- 1 can 10 oz. cream of mushroom soup
- 1 can 7 1/2 oz. tomato sauce
- Salt and pepper
- 2 1/2 cups grated cheddar cheese
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain and put in a large casserole dish.
- Heat oil in a large frying pan. Add garlic, onion, celery, mushrooms, and green pepper. Cook and stir until vegetables are soft. Remove from heat and add to casserole dish.
- Add ground beef to the frying pan and cook and stir until browned. (If you have a large enough frying pan you can cook the vegetables and ground beef together.) Drain fat and add ground beef to the casserole dish.
- Add soups and tomato sauce to the casserole dish. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add 1 1/2 cups of the cheese to the casserole. Mix all together to blend.
- Top with the remaining 1 cup of cheese. Cover and bake at 350 degrees F. for 30 to 40 minutes. Remove cover for the last few minutes to melt the cheese if necessary. Makes 8 servings.