Salmon makes a great addition to macaroni and cheese, for a complete meal. You can also make this with tuna instead of salmon, or leave it out for “just plain” macaroni and cheese. Light cheese, skim milk and yogurt reduce the fat content.
Macaroni with Salmon
- 1 1/2 cups elbow macaroni
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 onion chopped
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1/2 teaspoon Worchestershire sauce
- 1 3/4 cups milk
- 2 cups grated Cheddar cheese
- 1 cup sour cream or plain yogurt
- 2 cans 7 3/4 oz. salmon
- Cook pasta and drain.
- In a large saucepan, melt butter. Add onion and garlic and cook until tender. Stir in the flour and Worchestershire sauce. Gradually stir in milk. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Remove from heat. Add 1 1/2 cups of the cheese and stir until melted. Add sour cream.
- Drain the salmon and break into bite size chunks, discarding skin and bones. Add to the cheese mixture, along with the macaroni.
- Put the mixture in a 2 quart casserole dish. Sprinkle the remaining 1/2 cup of cheese on top. Bake at 350 degrees F. for 25 to 30 minutes. Makes 6 servings.