This recipe is from Stephanie Bennett of Streator, Illinois, who writes, “I was given this recipe by my mother. It is a favorite of my closest friend and mine, we often make it when we get together for dinner and talk.”
Three Cheese Baked Ziti
- 1 package 16 oz. ziti pasta, cooked
- 1 medium onion finely chopped
- 1/2 cup butter
- 2 tablespoons instant chicken boullion
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 6 cups milk
- 8 oz. Cheddar cheese
- 8 oz. American cheese
- 1/2 cup fresh Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs optional
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In a large saucepan, melt butter, add onion, saute until tender.
- Add instant boullion, stir until dissolved. Stir in flour to make a roux. Cook for 1 to 2 minutes until browned.
- Slowly whisk in milk, until no lumps are apparent. Add all 3 cheeses (grated), stir over low heat until completely melted.
- Put cooked pasta into a 2 quart casserole dish and pour sauce over. Sprinkle with bread crumbs (and additional Parmesan cheese if desired).
- Bake 30 to 40 minutes, or until brown and bubbly.