This is a slightly simplified version of a dish Mario Costantino, who I worked with, made for the house warming party of his first house. He gave me the recipe and I have made it several times, to everyone’s approval. A great party dish. No need to wait though – you can half it if you don’t have a crowd to feed.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 - 6 cloves garlic minced
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 1/2 cup white wine
- Oregano basil, rosemary, parsley, pepper, paprika
- 1/2 pound mushrooms sliced
- 1 pound bacon or back bacon chopped
- 2 cans 10 oz. each cream of mushroom soup
- 1 can 10 oz. sliced mushrooms, undrained
- 1 cup table cream or whipping cream
- 1 large 2 pound package cheese tortellini
- 1 cup peas canned or frozen
- Heat olive oil in a large frying pan. Add garlic and onion, and saute until softened. Add white wine, and seasonings to taste.
- Add mushrooms and bacon and cook on high until done.
- In a saucepan mix mushroom soup and canned mushrooms until hot. Stir in cream and heat.
- Cook tortellini in a large soup pot (until still slightly undercooked). Drain and return tortellini to the pot. Add the soup mixture and the bacon mixture to the pot, along with the peas. Heat for 10 minutes. Makes 8 - 12 servings.