A good hearty sauce. Use sweet or hot Italian sausages to suit your taste. This sauce can top up any kind of pasta, and it is also great with polenta, as shown in the photo.
Beef and Sausage Sauce
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 onions chopped
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1/4 teaspoon hot pepper flakes optional
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 pound Italian sausages
- 4 cups sliced mushrooms
- 2 cans 28 oz. each stewed tomatoes
- 1 can 13 oz. tomato paste
- Salt and pepper
- Heat oil in a large frying pan. Add onions, garlic and hot pepper flakes and cook until softened.
- Add beef. Remove sausage meat from casings, break up and add to pan. Cook until the meat is browned. Drain off fat.
- Add mushrooms and cook for 5 minutes. Add tomatoes and tomato paste. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 20 to 30 minutes, until thickened. Season with salt and pepper.
- Makes 8 servings.