This is one of my favorite pastas – I make it all the time. It is quick, easy and has a different and delicious creamy sauce.
Penne With Spinach Walnut Sauce
- 1/2 cup walnuts
- 10 oz. fresh spinach
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 cups low fat cottage cheese
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon basil
- Salt and pepper
- Penne pasta
- Spread walnuts on a baking sheet and bake at 350 degrees F. for 5 minutes to toast.
- Wash spinach and drain well. Place spinach and garlic in a pot and cook with the water clinging to the leaves, just until tender and wilted. (Or cook in the microwave for 5 minutes.) Drain.
- Place cooked spinach and garlic in food processor bowl. Add toasted walnuts, cottage cheese, Parmesan cheese and basil. Whirl until smooth. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Meanwhile, cook penne pasta. Toss sauce with pasta and heat and stir briefly over low heat just until sauce is warmed. Serve with additional Parmesan cheese if desired. Makes 4 servings.