I used to make this back home when I was young. We thought it was really fancy! Kids will love it – and adults too (who doesn’t love those Pillsbury crescent rolls?). It is very filling, serve it with a lettuce salad, and you’ll be set.
Homesteader Beef Pie
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 can 5 1/2 oz. tomato paste
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- Dash of pepper
- 1 can 8 oz. Pillsbury Crescent Rolls
- 6 process cheese slices
- In a medium frying pan brown the ground beef. Add the onion and cook until tender. Drain off fat. Stir in tomato paste and seasonings.
- Lightly grease a 9 inch pie pan. Separate the crescent dough into 8 triangles. Place in the pie pan, pressing the triangles together, to form a crust.
- Fill with half of the meat mixture. Top with 3 cheese slices, then the rest of the meat. Bake at 375 degrees F. for 25 minutes, until the crust is golden brown.
- Cut each of the remaining 3 cheese slices into 4 lengthwise strips. Arrange the strips over the pie to form a lattice. Return to the oven until the cheese melts. Makes 4 to 6 servings.