We never had sweet potatoes when we were kids, unfortunately. I like them a lot, so I have them now. This is a great special occasion recipe and could be prepared the day before and refrigerated instead of baking. Bake it before dinner, increasing the baking time.
Sweet Potato Casserole
- 2 large sweet potatoes 2 lbs.
- 3 eggs beaten
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- 2/3 cup evaporated milk or cream
- 3/4 cup coarsely chopped pecans
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- Peel and cut up the sweet potatoes. Boil for about 25 minutes, until tender. Drain well and mash.
- Stir in eggs, butter and evaporated milk. Spoon into a 2 litre baking dish.
- Combine the topping ingredients, and sprinkle evenly over the sweet potatoes.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 40 minutes, until center is set.