A different dish – really tasty too. A nice one to take to a potluck dinner. If you don’t have pine nuts you can use slivered almonds instead.
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 1 cup pearl barley
- 1/2 cup pine nuts
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 4 green onions thinly sliced
- Salt and pepper
- 3 cups beef or vegetable broth
- Combine onion, barley, pine nuts and butter in a frying pan. Cook and stir until onions are soft.
- Stir in parsley, green onions and salt and pepper.
- Transfer to a 2 quart baking dish. Add broth.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350 degrees F. for about 1 hour and 15 minutes, until the barley is tender and broth is absorbed.