Another family favorite: You get a cereal bowl, you take a square of cake. You slice the cake square in half crosswise and lay the halves in the bowl, cut side up. You spread butter over both halves and then top it all off with corn syrup. You eat it. You enjoy!
- 7/8 cup flour
- 3 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1 egg well beaten
- 7/8 cup milk
- 5 tablespoons melted butter or shortening
- Grease an 8 inch square cake pan. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Mix the flour, baking powder, salt, cornmeal and brown sugar together.
- Combine the egg, milk and butter. Make a well in the dry ingredients, pour the milk mixture over and stir quickly only enough to blend. Turn into prepared pan.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes. Serve warm.