My favorites – parsnips and Parmesan cheese in this special occasion vegetable dish. It can be made in advance and refrigerated before baking.
Carrot and Parsnip Gratin
- 1 pound carrots
- 1 pound parsnips
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup flour second amount
- 2 cups milk
- 1/2 cup whipping cream
- 2 eggs
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Peel and grate carrots and parsnips - using the food processor is easiest. Place in a large bowl.
- Combine 2 tablespoons flour with 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese. Stir into the vegetables.
- Melt butter in a medium saucepan. Stir in 1/4 cup flour and cook for 2 minutes stirring constantly. Gradually stir in milk and continue to heat and stir until it starts to bubble. Remove from heat.
- In a small bowl beat eggs with whipping cream and seasonings. Gradually stir into hot milk mixture. Stir for 1 minute.
- Pour milk mixture over vegetables and stir well to combine.
- Pour into a buttered 9 by 13 inch baking dish. Sprinkle with remaining Parmesan cheese.
- Bake, uncovered, for about 1 hour, until golden and bubbly.