Serve in place of pasta. Spoon pasta sauce or stew over top. One of my favorites! For a lower fat version, evaporated milk can be used in place of whipping cream.
- 2 cups milk
- 2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons butter
- In a large saucepan, combine milk, water and salt. Bring to boil.
- Reduce heat to medium and gradually whisk in cornmeal. Return to a boil and then reduce heat. Cook for 5 to 8 minutes, until the polenta is thick.
- Stir in Parmesan cheese, cream and butter. Stir until butter is melted.
- Half fill a medium saucepan with water and bring to a boil. Reduce heat so water is simmering.
- Spoon the polenta into a heatproof bowl or top of double boiler. Place bowl over the water and cook uncovered, stirring occasionally, for 20 to 30 minutes, until very smooth. Makes 6 servings.