Yes, the recipe calls for a whole head of garlic, not just a clove of garlic. But the baking makes it sweet and mild, and it adds great flavour to “plain old” mashed potatoes.
Garlic Mashed Potatoes
- 1 head garlic
- 2 pounds potatoes about 5
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup hot milk
- Salt and pepper
- Trim 1/2 inch off the top of the garlic head. Wrap with tinfoil. Bake at 400 degrees F. for 45 minutes.
- Peel, cut up, and boil potatoes. Drain.
- Return potatoes to saucepan, and heat over low heat for 2 minutes, shaking pan occasionally, to dry them. Remove from heat.
- Squeeze garlic out of skins into the potatoes. Add butter. Mash with potato masher until smooth.
- Add hot milk, salt and pepper. Stir in. Makes 4 servings.