This tasty cornbread makes a great accompaniment to chili. It can also be baked as cornmeal muffins – reduce baking time to about 20 minutes for muffins.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup corn oil
- 1 egg
- In large bowl, combine flour, cornmeal, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the buttermilk, oil and egg.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix until just blended.
- Grease an 8 inch round pan, and pour batter into pan.
- Bake at 400 degrees F. for about 30 minutes.
- Cut into wedges and serve warm.