Very tropical. I like this with fish. I prefer unsweetened coconut, but you can use sweetened if you like. You can also use a peach or nectarine instead of a mango, and parsley or coriander in place of chives. (In other words this is a basic recipe you can play with.)
- 2 teaspoons oil
- 3/4 cup shredded coconut
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 cups rice
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 small mango peeled and chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh chives chopped
- Heat oil in a large saucepan. Add coconut and cook and stir until browned.
- Add onion and cook 1 minute.
- Stir in rice. Add broth and bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to low and simmer for 25 to 30 minutes until liquid is absorbed and rice is tender.
- Remove from heat. Stir in mango. Sprinkle with chives. Makes 6 servings.