Now, this is a strange tradition, that of the sweet jellied salad with dinner. We always had this salad for Christmas dinner. Grandma would make it, and Mom and Auntie Bessie too. In fact, one year, Mom was hospitalized. My brother Stephen, my former partner Don, and I spent Christmas day with her in the hospital, and had turkey dinner from the cafeteria. But, Auntie Bessie made us a little container of this salad, so it was Christmas after all!
Pineapple Carrot Jellied Salad
- 1 can 20 oz. crushed pineapple
- 1 package lemon jelly powder
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 cup finely grated carrots
- 1 cup whipping cream
- Drain pineapple, reserving juice. Set pineapple aside.
- Mix pineapple juice with enough water to make 1 1/2 cups of liquid. Heat to a boil.
- Stir in jelly powder, until it is dissolved. Stir in the sugar, salt and lemon juice.
- Chill until it is slightly thickened.
- Add the reserved pineapple, and the carrots.
- Whip the cream until stiff, and fold in to the jelly mixture.
- Pour into a jelly mold and chill overnight.
- Unmold and serve.