This is a “healthified” version of an old family favorite, the Butter Ball. I replaced the sugar called for in the original recipe with maple syrup. To compensate for the additional liquid, I added some almond flour and skim milk powder, for additional protein and fibre. The original balls are rolled in icing sugar, and I replaced that with more almond flour. To make them gluten-free use certified gluten-free rolled oats.
Better Butter Balls
- 2 cups quick cooking oats
- 2/3 cup butter softened
- 3 tablespoons cocoa
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/3 cup almond flour
- 1/3 cup skim milk powder
- Additional 1/3 cup almond flour for rolling
- Place oats in food processor bowl and process for a few seconds to grind it up a bit.
- Add remaining ingredients (except the 1/3 cup of almond flour) and process until it is uniformly mixed. Chill for about an hour until it is firm enough to roll in balls.
- Place the 1/3 cup of almond flour in a small bowl.
- Take a small amount of dough and roll into a ball - I use a small cookie scoop to portion out the dough. Roll the ball in the almond flour to coat. Place on a wax paper or parchment lined cookie sheet. Continue with remaining balls and refrigerate until firm. Store in the fridge.