These were not a Christmas cookie at home. Grandma used to make these for us for as long as I can remember, and Mom too. Like all the time – when we went to Grandma’s we expected butter balls. I hadn’t had them for years, then my cousin Kathy made them one year for Christmas, so now they are a Christmas cookie!
- 2/3 cup butter
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 3 tablespoons cocoa
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 tablespoon water
- 2 cups oatmeal
- 1/2 cup icing confectioners' sugar
- Soften butter to room temperature.
- Cream butter and sugar.
- Add cocoa, vanilla, water and oatmeal, and blend well.
- Chill for about an hour until firm enough to handle.
- Put icing sugar in a small bowl. Shape dough into small balls, and roll in icing sugar.
- Store in the fridge.