Yes, you can make fig newtons! These are grain free and refined sugar free too. And very tasty.
Grain-Free Fig Newtons
- 285 grams dried figs
- finely grated zest of 1 orange
- 1/3 cup orange juice
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- pinch of salt
- 1 cup almond flour
- 1/4 cup coconut flour
- 1/4 cup tapioca flour
- pinch of salt
- 2 tablespoons honey or maple syrup
- 1 large egg room temperature
- 1/4 cup cold butter
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Cut figs in pieces, make sure stems are removed, and place in food processor. Whirl to chop finely. Add remaining filling ingredients and whirl until the mixture is smooth. Set aside.
- Clean food processor (unless you have 2!)
Make Cookie Dough:
- Combine flours and salt in food processor bowl. Whirl to combine.
- Add honey and egg and whirl again to blend in.
- Cut butter into chunks and add to food processor. Whirl to cut in and form a dough.
- Split the dough in half. Place half of the dough on a sheet of parchment paper. Top with a second piece of parchment and roll dough out to form a strip about 4 inches wide.
- Spoon half of the filling into the center of the dough strip.
- Carefully bring the sides of the dough up (using the parchment paper) and press edges together.
- Flip the whole thing over onto a parchment lined cookie sheet (so that the seam side is on the bottom).
- Repeat with the remaining dough and filling. Both cookie strips should fit on one cookie sheet.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, until lightly browned.
- Remove from oven and let cool.
- When cool, cut each strip into cookies (about 1/2 to 2 inches wide.)
- Store in a covered container at room temperature. Best left for a day - the cookies will soften.