Auntie Bessie made these cookies first, and I brought the recipe home to add to our repertoire too. These are my favorites. If I only make one Christmas cookie this is it. My friends like them too, and they are great to give as gifts in a nice container. A similar recipe, often known as Mexican Wedding Cake or Russian Tea Cake is rolled in icing (confectioners’) sugar, but our version uses white sugar.
- 1 cup butter
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons white sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups flour
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- Additional white sugar
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees F. Soften butter to room temperature.
- Cream butter, add sugar and beat until fluffy. Stir in vanilla.
- Add flour and stir until combined. Mix in the chopped pecans.
- Roll into small balls and place on an ungreased cookie sheet.
- Bake for 15 - 20 minutes, until the bottoms are golden brown.
- Put some white sugar in a small bowl. While hot, roll each cookie in the sugar to coat, and set on a rack or plate to cool.