I love molasses cookies! However, I am trying to cut down on grains of any type – which means cutting down on the molasses cookies. Fortunately, I have developed these tasty little beauties! They are inspired by various different energy ball/bite recipes I have tried before. The addition of molasses and spices turns them into gingerbread balls.
Gluten-Free No-Bake Gingerbread Balls
- 1 cup gluten-free rolled oats or regular if you don't have to be gluten-free
- 2 cups walnut pieces
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon cloves
- Pinch salt
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 2 cups pitted dates
- Combine rolled oats and walnuts in food processor. Blend until finely ground.
- Add spices and whirl to combine.
- Add molasses and half of the dates and whirl until they are blended in.
- Add remaining dates and blend until mixture sticks together to form a ball.
- Form dough into small balls - I use my small cookie scoop to portion out the dough - and place on platter or baking sheet lined with wax paper.
- Place in the fridge until firm, then transfer to a covered container and store in the fridge.
- These keep well (if they have the chance!)