I love these gluten-free gingerbread balls, but one day I wanted to make them grain-free as well. I substituted some coconut flour for the oatmeal called for in the original recipe. I found they were a little dry (coconut flour really absorbs moisture) and added some coconut oil as a result. But when I used Medjool dates I did not need to add the oil. Also, some walnuts are oilier than others, so I would mix up the rest of your ingredients and if the mixture seems dry add some coconut oil.
Grain-Free Gingerbread Balls
- 2 cups walnut pieces
- 1/3 cup coconut flour
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon cloves
- Pinch salt
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil melted (if required)
- 2 cups pitted dates 350 g
- Place walnuts in food processor. Blend until finely ground.
- Add coconut flour and spices and whirl to combine.
- Add molasses, coconut oil and half of the dates and whirl until they are blended in.
- Add remaining dates and blend until mixture sticks together to form a ball.
- Form dough into small balls - I use my small cookie scoop to portion out the dough - and place on platter or baking sheet lined with wax paper.
- Place in the fridge until firm, then transfer to a covered container and store in the fridge.
- These keep well and can also be frozen.