I used to send away all the time, when I was a kid, for manufacturers recipes (now of course we can just look them up online) This recipe came from a Fry’s Cocoa booklet, and became a family classic in no time. Well come on – chocolate and shortbread in one cookie, what could be better than that? You can also roll the dough and cut with a cookie cutter – they look fancier that way. And if you want to be really fancy pop a walnut half or a red cherry half on the top before baking.
- 1 cup butter
- 3/4 cup icing confectioners' sugar
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- Few grains salt
- 1/3 cup cocoa
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees F. Soften butter to room temperature.
- Cream butter until soft and fluffy. Beat in icing sugar.
- Stir in flour, salt, and cocoa, and mix well. If very soft, chill in refrigerator for 1/2 hour.
- Shape into 1 inch balls and place on an ungreased cookie sheet about 2 inches apart.
- Flatten balls with a fork.
- Bake for 20 - 25 minutes. Remove from oven, cool slightly and remove from pan.