I have always enjoyed rum balls, particularly as a holiday treat. But they are normally made with vanilla wafers, which are off limits on a gluten-free diet. One day I was making some chocolate cookies, and after a bite of the dough (yes, I do that) I thought “hmmm, this reminds me of a rum ball.” So with a few modifications, and the addition of some rum of course, this recipe was born.
Grain-Free Rum Balls
- 1/4 cup butter or coconut oil
- 1/4 cup chocolate chips
- 2 cups almond flour
- 1 cup unsweetened coconut shreds or flakes
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 3 tablespoons dark rum
- 1/4 cup approx coconut second amount
- Melt butter or coconut oil and chocolate chips together in the microwave on medium heat. Set aside to cool.
- In food processor, combine almond flour, coconut, cocoa and salt. Pulse until coconut is finely ground and mixture is combined.
- Add maple syrup, rum and chocolate chip mixture to food processor. Pulse until mixture is smooth.
- Refrigerate for 1 hour or more, until mixture is firm enough to roll. (or place in freezer for 20-30 minutes)
- Pulse second amount of coconut in food processor or blender until finely ground. Place in a small bowl.
- Scoop out small amounts of dough (I use a small cookie scoop) and roll into a ball. Roll in ground coconut and place on wax or parchment lined cookie sheet. Refrigerate until firm and then store in fridge in a covered container.
- If you can wait, they are better left for a couple days to allow the rum flavour to mellow.