I have been working on a healthier version of this recipe for quite a while. This is about my fifth batch, and I have finally gotten it right! (My husband didn’t complain about eating all the previous experiments!) These are grain free and (mostly) refined sugar free (regular chocolate contain sugar to make them “semi-sweet”, and unless you use an unsweetened peanut butter that will have some sugar in it too).
Better Peanut Butter Balls
- 1 1/2 cups creamy peanut butter
- 1/2 cup butter softened
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- pinch salt
- 1 cup almond flour
- 1/2 cup skim milk powder
- 1/4 cup coconut flour
- 1 1/4 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup butter
- Add peanut butter, butter and maple syrup to food processor bowl. Process to combine.
- Add salt, almond flour, skim milk powder and coconut flour and process until it is all combined and smooth.
- Place dough in the fridge or freezer until it is firm enough to roll into balls.
- Roll dough into small balls (I use my small cookie scoop to portion out the dough) and place on wax paper or parchment lined baking sheet. Place the baking sheet in the freezer for about an hour until they are cold and firm.
- Melt chocolate chips and butter together - I do this in the microwave on medium power).
- Place a chilled ball on a fork and dip it in the melted chocolate. Remove and shake gently to remove excess chocolate. Use a second fork to push the ball off he first fork onto a wax paper or parchment lined baking sheet. Return the coated balls to the freezer for a few minutes to harden the chocolate, and then store in the fridge in a covered container. They can also be frozen.