Something a little different. These are a very pretty addition to the Christmas cookie tray, and they are tasty too!
- 1 cup chopped dried apricots
- 1/2 cup boiling water
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 cup butter
- 1 cup icing confectioners' sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 3 cups flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Combine apricots and boiling water in a small bowl, and set aside until water is absorbed. Stir in 1/4 cup sugar, and chop in food processor until it is spreadable.
- Cream butter and icing sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the egg and stir in the almond extract.
- Combine the flour and salt, and add to the creamed mixture. Blend well. Chill the dough for 30 minutes.
- Roll out half of the dough to a 9 x 12 inch rectangle. Spread with half of the apricot mixture.
- From the 12 inch side, roll up like a jelly roll. Wrap in waxed paper or plastic wrap. Repeat with the remaining dough and filling.
- Refrigerate for at least 3 hours, or overnight. To bake, slice rolls into 3/8 inch slices. Place on a greased cookie sheet. Bake at 375 degrees F. for 12 to 15 minutes. Remove to a rack or plate to cool.