I got the notion one day that oranges and almond flour would make a good cake combination. In doing some research on the matter I found a number or recipes for cakes similar to the one below. It seems to be a popular cake in many cultures – I found British (Nigella Lawson makes a version with clementines) and Persian versions, not to mention Martha Stewart’s version. While gluten-free most recipes I found were made with white sugar. I used ample syrup to sweeten my version, and it turned out very moist and delicious.
Orange Almond Cake
- 2 navel oranges
- 4 eggs
- 2/3 cup maple syrup
- 2 cups almond flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Boil oranges for 1 hour. Cool. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Grease an 8" round cake pan.
- Cut oranges into pieces and place in food processor. Process until fairly smooth.
- Add eggs and maple syrup to food processor, and process to mix in.
- Add remaining ingredients and process to mix evenly.
- Pour into prepared pan. Bake for 50-60 minutes, until top springs back when touched. Cover with tinfoil for the last few minutes if needed to prevent top from burning before cake is cooked through. Cool in pan on cake rack.