Mmmm, I love Turtles! This cake is kind of an upside down Turtles cake (since the pecans are on the top). I made this one year for my cousin Kathy’s birthday, because she is fond of caramel. Top it off with a scoop of caramel swirl ice cream.
Chocolate Caramel Pecan Cake
- 1 package 14 oz. caramels (about 75)
- 1 can sweetened condensed milk Eagle Brand, 300ml
- 1/2 cup butter
- 2/3 cup butter
- 4 squares unsweetened chocolate
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 1/2 cups coarsely chopped pecans
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Unwrap caramels and combine in a saucepan with sweetened condensed milk and butter.
- Cook and stir over medium heat until melted and smooth. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Melt butter and chocolate together, either on the stove or in the microwave.
- Add the water, sugar, eggs, flour, salt, baking soda and vanilla. Beat until smooth and creamy.
- Spread half of the cake batter into a greased 9 by 13 inch pan. Bake for 15 minutes, until the centre is set. Remove from oven.
- Spread filling evenly over the cake. Spread the remaining cake batter over the filling. Sprinkle the nuts over the top.
- Return to the oven and bake 40 minutes, until cake springs back when touched. Cool completely before cutting.