This is an easy to prepare special occasion cake. It looks fancy and it is quite light. You can make the topping with Kahlua or other liqueur of your choice instead of Amaretto.
Chocolate Amaretto Torte
- 1/2 cup butter
- 3 squares unsweetened chocolate
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 eggs
- 2/3 cup flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup sliced almonds toasted
- 1 package 8 oz. cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup icing confectioners' sugar
- 1/3 cup Amaretto liqueur
- 2 cups whipping cream
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds toasted
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Melt butter and chocolate together, either on the stove or in the microwave. Remove from heat and add sugar, vanilla and eggs. Beat well, by hand or with electric mixer.
- Combine flour, baking powder, salt and almonds. Add to chocolate mixture and stir until well blended.
- Spread cake batter in a greased 9 inch springform pan. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes. Cool completely.
- Beat cream cheese and icing sugar together with electric mixer. Beat until light and fluffy. Gradually add Amaretto, beating until smooth.
- Whip the whipping cream. Fold into the cream cheese mixture. Spread over the cooled cake. Chill at least 3 hours, or overnight. Remove from pan. Garnish with toasted almonds.