I don’t know why this cake is called lazy daisy, but it is good.
Lazy Daisy Oatmeal Cake
- 1 cup uncooked rolled oats instant or regular
- 1 1/4 cups boiling water
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 cup butter melted
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons cream or milk
- 3/4 cup flaked coconut
- 1/3 cup chopped nuts
- In a shallow bowl, combine rolled oats and boiling water. Let sit for 20 minutes. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In mixer bowl cream butter. Add sugars and beat until light. Beat in eggs and vanilla.
- Mix flour, baking soda, salt and spices.
- Remove beaters from creamed mixture. Stir in rolled oat mixture. Fold in flour mixture.
- Pour batter into a greased 9 inch square cake pan. Bake for 40 to 50 minutes. Remove from oven.
- Combine all ingredients. Spread over the hot cake.
- Return the cake to the oven, under the broiler. Broil until the topping is bubbly and tinged with gold. Watch it as it will burn easily.