I don’t make cakes too often, unless we are having company, or taking it somewhere. There is only my husband and me, and if I made a whole cake, well, then we would have to eat a whole cake. Well, I was in the mood for carrot cake and I got the idea from a blog post to make a mini-carrot cake. I happen to have two 4″ heart shaped springform pans that I used to make this into a little layer cake.
This is the gluten-free flour blend I used.
Cute Little Gluten-Free Carrot Cake
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 large egg room temperature
- 1/2 cup finely grated carrot
- 1/2 cup gluten-free all purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon ground flax meal
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- 3 tablespoons spreadable cream cheese
- 2 tablespoons butter softened
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/3 cup icing confectioners' sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray two 4" pans or ramekins with non-stick cooking spray.
- I mixed this up in my mini food processor/chopper - you could also use a blender. In bowl of food processor or blender add the canola oil, sugar and egg. Mix for about a minute.
- Add the vanilla and grated carrot and mix for about 30 seconds.
- In a small bowl, combine the flour, flax meal, cinnamon, baking powder and salt. Sprinkle over wet ingredients and whirl until well combined.
- Stir in chopped walnuts.
- Pour batter into prepared pans and bake in preheated oven for about 25 to 30 minutes. Cake should spring back when lightly touched.
- Remove cakes from oven and allow to cool on wire rack.
- Combine all ingredients until smooth and creamy.I also used the mini-chopper to do this.
- When cakes are completely cool, remove from pans. Set one cake on a serving plate, and spread a spoonful of icing over it. Top with the second layer and frost the top and sides of the cake with the remaining icing.
- Garnish with additional chopped walnuts if desired.
- Refrigerate for several hours.